The human resource department forms the framework of an organization. The human resource management (HRM) aims towards a strategic development of the organization by recruiting new employees and taking care of their needs as well as those of the existing members.
The department is headed and supervised by the HR manager. Henceforth, we can very well assume that the duties of an HR manager are concerned with immense responsibilities to monitor the employees, and then be answerable to the CEO or the managing director of the company.
A human resource manager should have excellent communication skills in order to bring out a coherent relationship between the executive sector, management teams, and operations sector of the organization. These responsibilities are also dependent upon the size and activities of the organization.
A company with an efficient HR department is more resilient, adaptable, flexible, and customer oriented.
- Organizational Development
- Salary and Benefits
- Policy Recommendation
- Team Building
- Employee Relations
The job entails conducting employee performance and many other interesting functions.
- Resource hunting is the prior step of the recruitment process that is handled by the HR manager. He fixes the date of interviews, exams, and then selection of the desirable candidates. He also maintains a strong relationship with educational institutions for hiring freshers.
- Once the candidates are selected, he plays a key role to determine their salaries. Salary issues and the negotiable criterion deals with examining the candidate on grounds of professional expertise and experience. He works in collaboration with the accounts department to decide the terms and conditions of salary payment.
- Providing adequate training and coaching is one of the vital responsibility of an HR manager, because the performance of an employee is much dependent on the quality of training. Induction and orientation of the newly recruited employees falls under one of his prime duties.
- He must motivate employees to boost up their confidence and capability to perform. This is one of the most important factors affecting the growth of an organization. Employee motivation is directly dependent upon performance appraisal that is associated with increment of salary based on the performance.
- He should pay attention to the fact that employees are completely satisfied working there. He is supposed to give a solution to any kind of conflict prevailing amongst the workers and staff. Such issues are usually settled with the principles of conflict resolution to restore peace and harmony.
A couple of years of experience is required to reach this managerial position. A bachelor's degree in management is the eligibility criterion to become a part of the human resource team. Specialization in human resource management is preferred to step up the ladder.
The characteristic traits of an HR manager are:
- Must possess leadership qualities.
- Should have excellent communication skills.
- Must have the ability to think and take decisions.
- Must be a team player and should be self motivated.
- Should possess negotiation skills.
- Must have the capability to initiate.
- Should possess strong presentation skills.
It is always advisable to nurture your managerial talents and pursue studies in this discipline if you are interested in building a career in human resource management.