Our mind has a natural aversion to things that do not give it pleasure. This is one of the main reasons why we feel bored and sleepy at work. Simple things like talking to friends and consuming energy drinks will help you stay awake. A two-dimensional approach is needed to stay awake, meaning, you will have to rejuvenate both, your body as well as mind.
Sitting in one position and concentrating on work can at times lead to muscle soreness, which might induce thoughts of rest and sleep in your mind.
One of the best tips to stay awake is indulging in light stretching routines at your desk.
- Extend your hands in front of you palms facing the ceiling, and then drop your wrists so that your fingers are facing the floor.
- Sit on the edge of your chair and extend your feet in front of you, and dig your heels in the floor. Now, pull your toes towards your body.
- Keep your back straight and bend your neck to the left, and try to touch your ear to the shoulder. Then try to do the same on the right side.
- Take a small walk by taking measured steps, while trying to understand the different sensations you experience as you walk.
Increasing your fluid intake will work. It will work in two ways, one, it will energize you, and second, it will stimulate your bowel movement, inducing frequent trips to the bathroom.
- If you are a coffee person, have half the amount of coffee than you generally have, and then repeat the same every two hours.
- Having orange juice with a couple of ice cubes will also work well. The sugar in the juice will give you instant energy and help you stay awake.
If you have been partying with friends the previous night, or have been up all night finishing a project, try light snacks. Our body generates energy from the food we eat, so help yourself with some small snacks.
- Take a couple of fruits with you to office, and eat small portions at regular intervals. The sugar in the fruits will give you instant energy, but the energy levels will also drop quickly, so eat small portions at regular intervals.
- Eating a vegetable sandwich is also a good idea, as it will keep you energized for a longer duration. Just make sure you don't have one with extra cheese, as it will have a counter-effect on your intentions of staying awake at work.
- Discussing the latest office gossip is one of the best ways to get some adrenalin flowing; this will help you stay wide awake.
- Calling a few old friends and reminiscing about happy times will also get you excited.
So, the next time you feel like dozing off at work, stop yourself and try things like listening to peppy music or strolling out for some fresh air.