The way you dress up in the office determines how people at the workplace perceive you as a professional. Companies, no doubt, hold the right to implement a certain kind of dress code, however, they assume that you are well aware of appropriate, and inappropriate workplace wear. Therefore, as an employee, you ought to familiarize yourself with fashion tips for office wear. Let's be honest, not all of us are serious about our workplace attire. So, this Workspirited article acquaints you with some tips for office wear.
Fashion at the Workplace
Formal Business Attire
Despite changing fashion trends, formal business wear is still the most featured attire in workplaces. This kind of more formal approach is mandatory in places like banks, courts, or corporate offices, because in places like these, your clothes speak for the work you carry out in the office. For men, ties, collared shirts, jackets and blazers are a must; they can be taken off in privacy of your cabin or cubicle. Loud colors are a strict no-no, sober or muted tones are acceptable. For women, trousers or skirts teamed with blouses and coordinated with a blazer is acceptable. The footwear too ought to be conservative and jewelry, minimal.
The concept of smart casuals evolved when most workers felt that formal business attire did not match the environment they were working in. It was not strictly necessary to wear formal business clothes for the type of work they were carrying out, therefore, they adopted smart casuals, which were more comfortable and less restrictive. When employees are comfortable in their attire, they are more productive. The smart-casual concept meets both ends, it maintains the office conventions of dressing and at the same time the comfort factor is taken care of. Smart casuals can include short sleeve shirts with no tie, or sweater or polo shirts for men, whereas women can wear conventional trousers, skirts, and blouses, and jackets can be replaced by a cardigan or jumper.
Casual outfits are appropriate in offices where the work carried out is creative or artistic. This is because the comfort in such clothes help employees to maintain the right frame of mind that's needed for their kind of job. Therefore, t-shirts, sweatshirts, denim, and skirts are perfectly acceptable. Of course there are basic guidelines one must follow when you follow the casual style of dressing in your workplace. For example, women are not expected to wear too short tops or deep neck tops which will reveal their midriff. At the same time men should avoid t-shirts with large logos or offending statements on them. Now, this informal dress code could mean different things to different people, therefore, it is important for you to find out what the company actually expects out of you so that you can choose your casuals accordingly.
Office Fashion Tips
Office Fashion Tips
Apart from the points mentioned above, there are other basic fashion guidelines one has to adhere to, to look presentable at the workplace, because the way you dress affects how others at the workplace view you. There is nothing personal about it, it is plain business.
- Avoid deep necklines as far as possible, as it can be distracting and is definitely an inappropriate way to dress up in a business environment. It is not just deep necklines, but clothes that show skin (more than required) which are generally unacceptable in a workplace.
- Never resort to loud colors. While you choose a suit or blouse, in case of women, always go in for muted or soft colors; you would want people in the office to focus on your professionalism and not talk about your clothing. Your clothing can make the difference between a sleaze and a suave impression.
- Men do not have a range of accessories to select from, however, whatever limited options they have should be classy and must be well-coordinated with their clothing. Avoid printed ties; keep it simple and subtle. Your belt should be closely coordinated with your shoes. Shoes without a second thought have to be conservative, clean, and polished. Of course, if your workplace environment is a little relaxed, then sneakers or slip-ons are acceptable, however, wearing flip-flops to work shows a very casual attitude, which is not quite appreciated.
- Despite the many choices that women have in terms of selecting accessories, it is important that they keep flashy ones at bay. The point is to keep it simple. Accessories should be worn to enhance your personality and not diminish your credibility. Keep your make-up simple; avoid it if possible. If you just cannot live without your make-up, opt for nude shades and keep it minimal.
- Ladies, an office is not the place to flaunt the various kinds of footwear you own, wear something that coordinates with your attire and enhances your personality. Avoid high heels if you cannot carry them well. It is important to be comfortable in whatever you are wearing, because that will elevate your confidence and productivity in office.
At a workplace, your clothes speak for yourself, even if you don't. Therefore, when you dress-up, think about what you want to portray yourself to be. Moreover, fashion faux pas at the workplace can sometimes lead to being passed over for a responsibility or promotion. Hence, be careful!