One predominant reason why people leave the workplace is 'an unhealthy work environment'. To reduce employee turnover and increase employee retention, employers need to adopt certain employee recognition ideas. Recognizing employees for their hard work brings about a feeling of satisfaction among the employees.
Ideas for Employee Recognition
Employee recognition does not have to be elaborate, expensive or time-consuming. Even small gestures can make a large difference. Here are some different creative ideas for employee recognition:
- Serving ice cream to all the employees after the completion of targets or a specific project
- Throwing a pizza lunch party for the the team.
- Arranging breakfasts once a week or once a month for groups of employees.
- Holding retreats in order to foster communication and setting goals.
- A 'Hall of Fame' can be created with the photographs of outstanding employees.
- A 'Stress Relief Kit' comprising comedy DVDs, stress balls, wind-up toys, etc. should be placed at the work place, for employees to go and relieve stress.
- Find out the employee's hobby and purchase a gift related to it, as a 'thank-you' gesture for the employee's efforts.
- Once a year, the management can organize a "Staff Appreciation Day", wherein the managers cook and serve the food
Low or No Cost Employee Recognition
Employee recognition does not need to be expensive. There are several ideas which are economical. Appreciation can be shown in simple ways as well. Here are some ideas:
- Giving special assignments to employees showing initiative.
- On completion of a project, let the employees have an extra long lunch break.
- Start an 'employee recognition program', wherein employees are given points for punctuality, attendance, teamwork, performance, etc. Award the super employees with gift certificates. This will help in employee motivation.
- Send appreciation letters to the families of employees who have spent long hours at work.
- Get a ringed book to be passed on throughout the company, in which employees can thank their peers and team leads.
- Getting employees to vote for their peers for the recognition award is also a great way of allowing a fair chance for employees to be recognized.
Employees should not have to wait long for recognition rewards. As and when an employee does anything remarkable, the efforts should be appreciated. These awards need not be expensive all the time.
Simple gestures from the management's side will create a positive environment in the organization. A positive environment will result in satisfied employees, thereby reducing the turnover rate. The goodwill of the organization will also increase in the market.